The home improvement projects continue…
When I purchased this house back at the end of Winter in March 2016, I knew I was going to have to (well, really I wanted to) make some improvements to this house. It’s a fantastic starter home, and since I ended up being single as I transitioned from renter to home owner, I’m glad I went with a house I could afford while still having money left to make the improvements that I wanted.
Early into owning the home, the first thing that got upgraded was the furnace. It was original to the house, and the house was built in 1967…not at all efficient. While the new furnace was great, the insulation in the attic was poor…even the home inspector told me that. At some point I knew it was going to have to be updated too (only after I had ran all of the new wiring and light boxes I wanted), and well, no time like the present! On Saturday, Meghan and I went to rent a U-Haul. Neither of us have a vehicle big enough to haul 50 bags of insulation and the blower required for the install, so it was a safe way to go. Here are all 50 bags (on 4 carts) ready to load up).
Once we got back to the house, we split duties, and I went into the attic with the blower hose, and Meghan loaded the blower. I heard lots of yelling and freaking out coming from the attic opening…turns out the insulation kept falling everywhere but inside the blower. We got everything worked out though, and I added roughly 7-8″ to the existing 6″ (in some spots less than that) of insulation. Now to wait and see how much the heating and cooling bill is affected. We ended up only using 41 bags of the 50 that I purchased, and that included adding some more insulation to the garage. Total cost (minus the U-Haul) was just over $300. The added bonus is that Consumers Energy is offering a $125 rebate. Score!
With the insulation done (had to finish that before it got too hot outside) we turned our attention to finishing the kitchen and half-bath (which is just off to the side of the kitchen). Here is trim finally going up around the back door that we replaced prior to winter. We ripped out an old sliding glass door, studded up the opening, and installed this door. The drywall and mudding wasn’t fun, but I like the end result. Just have to finish out the base trim…
…which is what I have started in the half-bath.
The half-bath is now 3/4 trimmed out for the base…just need to get a vanity installed so that the trim can be finished. Guess I need to buy the vanity first! 😜